Infravec2 Secure insectary training
Interested in conducting secure insect infection studies with BSL2 and BSL3 pathogens? Infravec2 are running a five day workshop (1 – 5 July 2019) at The Pirbright Institute to train individuals on the planning, designing and conducting of such experiments. Nine spaces are available on the course, with registration, accommodation costs and a travel grant provided to all successful candidates. To find out more, or apply for a place on the course, visit https://infravec2.eu/secure-insectary-training-call/.
Theoretical modules will include:
- legal framework for working with insects in biological containment laboratories (including national considerations);
- principles of risk assessment;
- facility design and operation;
- good experimental design.
Practical modules will include:
- insect rearing in dedicated non-contained insectary and in biological containment laboratories;
- insect infection in three distinctive laboratory setups: (1) on bench, (2) using a minimum extraction glove box, (3) and using a class III biological safety cabinet;
- sample collection, processing and interpretation of results.